You can make a delicious Makhani Dal for the trail very simply and inexpensively. The recipe below will make over a litre of dal which is more than Della and I can eat for a meal between us. If you want to halve the cooking time you can put the lentils in a zip lock bag in the morning with some water to soften for the evening meal. Otherwise just carry the ingredients in a single ziplock bag and put them together in your pot, bring to the boil, stirring occasionally and simmer uncovered for approx 20 minutes (that would be about 40 mls of alcohol fuel). This meal would be about 800 calories. Obviously if you prefer a bit more ‘bite’ to your meal you could add a touch more of any of the ingredients (eg the chilli/paprika). More protein could be added (as with the other Dal recipe below) by adding some of this: http://www.theultralighthiker.com/hormel-real-bacon-pieces/ Freeze dried peas (such as Surprise) may also make a welcome addition.
- 1 litre water (four cups)
- 3⁄4 cup black (French) lentils
- 1⁄4 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika or red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 50 gram sachet tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- approx 1/2 teaspoon – salt to taste
- 2-4 teaspoons corn flour to thicken – at the end – or slightly less water.